Create a well balanced home practice by alternating the focus of each session according to the traditional Pune cycle. Move from standing poses to forward bends, backbends and finally pranayama. Regularly varying your focal point helps to ensure that you won’t neglect any areas. This can help to build momentum and breadth in your practice. This course is curated to guide you through a sequence of classes following the Pune cycle.
- Standing Poses – This 65 minute standing pose sequence also includes sirsasana and chair sarvangasana. Most of the Iyengar Yoga standing poses are included. Standing poses in conjunction with inversions are great for cultivating strength, stability and balance.
- Forward Bends – A 65 minute forward bend sequence also containing inversions, twists, and an arm balancing pose. This challenging sequence contains a comprehensive cross section of poses. It will help to benefit many different regions of the body. The qualities of strength, balance and flexibility will all be cultivated.
- Backbends – A 60 minute sequence that works towards the backbend vrschikasana (scorpion pose). The shoulder action that is required for this asana is explored initially in sirsasana. This action is further developed in dwi pada viparita dandasana. This energising class is intended to challenge experienced back benders. In addition to improving your backbends, the poses will also be great for opening your shoulders.
- Pranayama – This 55 minute class focuses on pranayama, using savasana as a starting point. Ujjayi and viloma pranayamas are explored from this supine position and then seated. Regular pranayama practice helps to cultivate focus and a sense of calm.
Who is this course for?
- Individuals with a tendency to focus on one or two areas in their home practice at the expense of others
- Those looking to build a balanced home practice covering all key areas via the Pune cycle
- This is an advanced course – approximately two or more years of yoga experience is recommended
How will this course help me?
These classes encompass the full range of key Iyengar yoga poses, divided into standing poses, forward bends, backbends and pranayama. Regular practice covering these areas will ensure that you have a balanced practice that expands in many directions.
What do I get from this course?
- A comprehensive and structured approach to alternating classes following the traditional Pune cycle
- Essential foundations and key principles clearly communicated to help you go further on your yoga journey
- Step by step tracking of your progression through the course
- Email reminders to help keep you motivated and on track
- Email support from your teacher
Start your journey now with a free trial
Get unlimited access to all courses, weekly class videos, pose library, sequences, in-depth articles and more. Cancel anytime.
Standing Poses With Inversions - Weekly Advanced Class 84
Key Poses: standing poses, sirsasana, chair sarvangasana
Equipment: Mat, chair, bolster, 2 blankets, 2 blocks, belt
Duration: 65 min
Hamstrings, Hips and Twists - Weekly Advanced Class 60
Key Poses: utthita hasta padangusthasana, krounchasana, marichyasana III, eka hasta bhujasana, sirsasana, sarvangasana
Equipment: Mat, 3 blankets, 2 blocks, belt
Duration: 65 min
Vrschikasana (Scorpion Pose) & Related Backbends - Weekly Advanced Class 74
Key Poses: Sirsasana, pincha mayurasana, dwi pada viparita dandasana, vrschikasana
Equipment: Mat, chair, 2 bolsters, 3 blankets, 2 blocks, belt
Duration: 60 min
Pranayama, Ujjayi & Viloma - Weekly Advanced Class 75
Key Poses: Ujjayi pranayama, viloma pranayama
Equipment: Mat, bolster, 3 blankets, 2 blocks
Duration: 55 min