Do you know how to balance in a handstand? What about in pincha mayurasana? If you are looking to work on your free balancing in these poses, this course will provide you with a strong foundation. Each tutorial is packed with helpful tips and techniques to help you confidently practice these advanced inversions. Work towards free balancing at your own pace as fundamental methods are introduced in a step-by-step progression. Whether you are new to the idea of balancing without a support, or looking to develop an existing foundation, these tutorials will help you get results.
Who is this course for?
- Individuals with no prior free-balance experience
- Those with pre-existing free-balance experience looking to build further skills and confidence
- Anyone wanting to improve their overall confidence with inversions
- This is an advanced course – approximately two years of yoga experience is recommended
How will this course help me?
Take your inversions to the next level. This course will guide you through key free-balancing techniques.
- Improve your balance, coordination, strength and confidence
- Learn preparatory movements and poses that will help you build the strength to sustain free balancing
- Be guided in safely applying Iyengar yoga techniques that will help you work towards correct alignment
What do I get from this course?
- A comprehensive and structured approach to using Iyengar yoga techniques for free balancing
- Essential foundations and key principles clearly communicated to help you go further on your yoga journey
- Step by step tracking of your progression through the course
- Email reminders to help keep you motivated and on track
- Email support from your teacher
Start your journey now with a free trial
Get unlimited access to all courses, weekly class videos, pose library, sequences, in-depth articles and more. Cancel anytime.
Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Handstand) – Weekly Advanced Class 77
Focus: This weeks advanced class focuses on adho mukha vrksasana (handstand). The video is a shorter length 20 minute tutorial style class. It starts with some preliminary poses that help to connect your arms with your torso in a straight, integrated line. The following poses start to link your legs into this line, as well as preparing you for the action of kicking up. In the next section of the class you practice kicking up with alternate legs. You focus here on keeping the knee of your leading leg straight, and kicking your heel straight up (as opposed to hooking it towards the wall).
From there you work towards the “bunny hopping" action by coming down from the pose keeping your knees and feet together. Once coming down has been consolidated you are ready to kick up with both feet together. Transferring your body weight from your feet into your hands as you kick up assists with this. From here you start to focus on the handstand free balance. A scissor action is used initially so that you can catch your balance with a lower centre of gravity. As you eventually bring your legs back together care is taken to move your legs simultaneously. You extend into the soles of your feet whilst keeping your knees straight. Whilst free balancing your balance will be in a continual state of flux. The middle knuckles of your fingers will visibly lift and drop as you continually shift your weight from your finger tips to the heels of your hands and vice versa.
Key Poses: Adho mukha vrksasana
Equipment: Mat, blanket
Duration: 20 min
Pincha Mayurasana (Forearm Balance) - Weekly Advanced Class 78
Focus: This class focuses exclusively on pincha mayurasana (forearm balance). The class begins with a strengthening sequence of movements that help to create a solid foundation for the pose. The poses that follow work on acquiring the shoulder mobility that is necessary for pincha mayurasana. You then work with variations that explore the basic techniques of the arms and shoulders without being in the full inversion. When you eventually get to the full pose your focus is on maintaining shoulder lift and avoiding lower back compression. The last section of the class explores ways of approaching the free balance in pincha mayurasana.
Key Poses: Pincha Mayurasana
Equipment: 2 blocks, belt
Duration: 30 min